Not only for blond hair! John Frieda Sheer Blonde Series


John Frieda Sheer Blonde Colour Renew Tone Correcting Shampoo
John Frieda Sheer Blonde Colour Renew Tone Correcting Conditioner


I have been colouring my hair for more than 10 years now. I don't mind going back to dark brown which is my natural hair colour, but I enjoy changing hair colour depending on my mood. I never colour my hair at home, I left that to my teenage stage when I didn't have money to go to the hair salon and had no choice but to do it at home damaging my hair. I go to the hair salon in Shimokitazawa where I have a reliable hair dresser who has been taking care of me for more than 13 years now. He used to be an assistant and I used to be his model, and now he is a director and charges quite a lot of money yet he gives me a discount kindly as I was his model and I've known him for ages. I go there every 3 months to cut and colour my hair. I perm my hair every year as well.

In the past year or so, I have been requesting the same colour which is super rare for me. It's called 'Mermaid Ash' and is such a gorgeous shade. I like to colour my hair pretty dark, but as it's very thin and doesn't hold any colour agents, it gets yellowy and brassy. I hate this tone but no matter how hard my hair dresser tries, it gets yellowy within a week or so.

I decided to try John Frieda Sheer Blonde range because it looks like the range that combats the brassy tone in your hair rather than making blond hair look even blonder. I wasn't sure if it works for brown hair, because all the reviews I'd found online were by blonde girls. But I can tell you that it does work for darker hair too!



The shampoo doesn't as purple as I expected, but it's got this bluey purple tint to it. It lathers up well, and as the foam is completely white, it doesn't stain my bathtub. I put it in my hair and let it sit for like 5 minutes before rinsing it out. It has this clean, floral scent that I don't see anybody would complain about. 

 
The conditioner doesn't have much of a colour agent, but slightly tinted. I was really skeptical and assumed that it wouldn't do anything when it comes to colour correcting, but it does work, surprisingly. When I used the shampoo and conditioner together, it worked much better than when using the shampoo with another conditioner. 

However, I don't like this conditioner much because it's too light for my dry hair. My hair still gets tangled after use of this conditioner, and it just doesn't do much in my opinion. I definitely need to use a leave-in conditioner when I use this conditioner.



The photo in the left is my disgusting yellow toned hair. And the brassy tone in my hair is almost gone in the photo in the right. I only use it once or twice a week, and it works perfectly!




I was worried that it could irritate my scalp as I heard sometimes purple shampoo would make your scalp feel itchy, but this one didn't do any of that at all. It's such a mild, yet effective purple shampoo which is super affordable too!


Unfortunately it's not available in Japan but thank god feelunique carries the whole range. I hope someday they would come out with a hair mask version as well. If you have hair that doesn't hold hair colour and tends to get yellowy, it's worth trying out this range even if you are not blonde!